Visit an antique hall, market or dealer in many locations across Tasmania and discover a treasure chest of antiques and vintage collectibles.
The legacy of Tasmania’s colonial history and the expertise of passionate antique dealers has been instrumental in shaping Tasmania into a hotspot for local and internationally imported antique items and rare collectibles.
Antique shops and dealers are located in multiple regions throughout regions and towns of Tasmania:
Antique Region: New Norfolk, Derwent Valley
New Norfolk is located in the Derwent Valley and is known as ‘The Antiques Capital of Tasmania’. Many people visit New Norfolk purely for its antiques.
There are eight antiques shops in New Norfolk well known for their vast and diverse collection of antique items.
Willow Court Antiques is the most extensive dealer in New Norfolk and is housed in the Olga Ward of the old asylum in the Willow Court Precinct.
New Norfolk Antiques specialises in linens, glassware and items like handbags from the nineteenth century. It is also perfect for Art Deco objects from the 1930s.
Ring Road Antique Centre specialises in pottery, kitchenware, glassware and crystal and jewellery.
Old Maypole Collectibles sell various bric-a-brac items like buttons from the twentieth century while the Drill Hall Emporium specialises in silver, glassware and oak and pine furniture.
Below is a list of the antique shops in New Norfolk:
- Willow Court Antiques Centre, 15 George St, New Norfolk. Tel : 03 6261 5050
- The Drill Hall Emporium, 17 Stephen St, New Norfolk. Tel : 03 6261 3651
- New Norfolk Antiques, 15 Stephen St, New Norfolk. Tel : 03 6261 1636 / 0439457129
- Ring Road Antique Centre, 99 Ring Road, New Norfolk. Tel: 03 6261 5880
- Rose & Son Antiques, 54 High Street, New Norfolk. Tel : 03 6261 4920
- 20th Century Artefacts, 56 High St, New Norfolk. Tel : 03 6261 2500
- Old Maypole Collectables and Antiques, 45 Burnett St, New Norfolk. Tel : 03 6261 3651
- Flywheel, 42 High Street, New Norfolk. Tel : 03 6261 1641
Antique Region: Hobart
Hobart is a window to early Australian heritage with buildings such as Government House, The Theatre Royal, The Female Factory, the Henry Jones Building and the Penitentiary Chapel Historic Site. Antiques businesses are common and range from big shops to those in side streets and laneways.
The Antiques Warehouse, situated in the old Coogans Factory, is spread over two levels offering sterling silver, furniture and many other practical and decorative items.
The Stamp Place holds a fine stamp and medal collection as well as old Australian currency notes and vintage coins.
Housed in an old 19th century warehouse, The Astrolabe Booksellers deals in antique, rare and collectible books and is a treasure trove for booksellers.
Coogan Antiques, Kent & Kent Antiques and Warwick Oakman Antiques are other outlets that offer a large variety of items that can be purchased at reasonable prices.
For an interesting and entertaining Saturday morning visit Salamanca Market in Salamanca Place where numerous stalls offer a diverse range of products.
Some of Hobart’s antique shops are:
- The Antiques Warehouse, 64Warwick St, Hobart. Tel : 03 6231 9284
- Coogan Antiques, 247 Elizabeth Street, Hobart. Tel : 03 6234 1719
- Kent & Kent Antiques, 3 Morrison Street, Hobart. Tel : 03 6231 3113
- Astrolabe Booksellers, 81 Salamanca Place, Hobart. Tel : 03 6223 8644
- The Coin and Stamp Place, Trafalgar Shopping Centre, 110 Collins Street, Hobart. Tel : 03 6224 3536
Antique Region: Launceston
Launceston is the second biggest city in Tasmania and the third oldest in Australia and it’s known for it’s historic buildings and heritage. Antiques are a commonly celebrated passion in Launceston — antique hunters will find rare art, decorative pieces, weapons, Colonial and Georgian furniture, statues and much, much more.
Tulloch’s Auction collects memorabilia from all over the world in different styles and eras and a visit to one of their auctions is a must. They hold them bi-annually.
Clockwise is recommended for those antique looking for antique wrist watches, pocket watches and clocks in all shapes and sizes and the 1842 Gallery have antique furniture and handcrafted pieces including Art Deco.
Recycled Relix are another general antiques store.
Details of some of Launceston’s Antiques outlets are below:
- Tulloch’s Auctions, 18-22 Herbert Street, Invermay. Tel : 03 6331 5200
- Seven Sisters Antiques, 2 Grafield Street, South Launceston. Tel : 03 6344 7117
- Recycled Relix, 67A York Street, Launceston. Tel : 03 6333 7211
- Clockwise, 143 St John Street, Launceston. Tel : 03 6334 7211
- 1842 Gallery, 21 Cimitiere Street, Launceston. Tel : 03 6331 2213
- Armitage Auctions, 9 Goodman Court, Invermay. Tel : 03 6326 2555
Other Antique Locations Across Tasmania
- Oatlands Antiques and Collectables, 78 High Street, Oatlands. Tel : 03 6254 0020
- Winton Cottage Antiques, 87 High Street, Oatlands. Tel : 03 6254 1514
- The Leather Bottle Antiques, 55 Main Road, Perth. Tel : 03 6398 2686
- Robur House Antiques, 98 Main Road, Perth. Tel : 03 6398 1323
- Grange Antiques, 95 Gilbert Street, Latrobe. Tel : 03 6426 2606
- Claren Antiques, 37 Gilbert Street, Latrobe. Tel : 03 6426 2777
- The Reliquaire, 139 Gilbert Street, Latrobe. Tel : 03 6426 2599
- Leven Antique Centre, 23 King Edward Street, Ulverstone. Tel : 03 6425 5226
- Peter Jermy’s antique Books, 48 Victoria Street, Ulverstone. Tel : 03 6425 6299
- Adopt-a-Chair Second Hand Dealers, 4 Main Street, Ulverstone. Tel : 03 6425 5616
- Island State Collectables, 19 Main Street, Ulverstone. Tel : 0419362388
- Choice Secondhand, 40-44 Alexandra Road, Ulverstone. Tel : 03 6425 7977
Burnie: Joyce Jewellers, 40 Wilson Street, Burnie. Tel : 03 6431 2477
Sheffield: The Emporium, 38a Main Street, Sheffield. Tel : 03 6491 2404
Stanley: About Time Collectables, 27 Church Street, Stanley. Tel : 03 6458 1133
Swansea: Felicity’s Antiques, Vintage & Tea Room, 1 Maria Street, Swansea. Tel : 03 6257 8702
St Helens: Shop in the Bush, Tasman Highway, St Helens. Tel : 03 6376 1735
Evandale: Evandale Antiques, 6 Russell Street, Evandale. Tel : 03 6391 9191
Longford: Longford Antiques, 1 William Street, Longford. Tel : 03 6391 1571
Devonport: Antique Emporium, 51 Formby Road, Devonport. Tel : 03 6423 3316
Deloraine: Sunny’s Antiques & Collectables, 9 Emu Bay, Deloraine. Tel : 0411529847
Richmond: Walkers of Richmond, 19 Bridge Street, Richmond. Tel : 03 6260 29337
Richmond: Warwick Oakman Antiques, 30 Bridge St, Richmond. Tel : 0439990854
Campbell Town: Wildes Antiques, 100 High Street, Campbell Town. Tel : 03 6381 2001